Search site

Browse Aloud

South Bucks District Council
Search site

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Olympic Room Aylesbury Vale District Council Gatehouse Road Aylesbury Bucks HP19 8FF

Contact: Clare Gray 

Items
Note No. Item

122.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

Emma Webster declared an interest on the topical issues item as a Member of the Royal Berkshire Fire Authority.

123.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 193 KB

To agree the Minutes of the Meeting held on 16 June 2017

Minutes:

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 16 June 2017 were agreed as a correct record subject to the following amendment:-

 

PCC Annual Report – Strategic Objective 4

Cllr Hayes referred to the minute on hate crime and commented that his question related to the rise in hate crime and whether this was prompted by terror attacks or whether this was outside the timeframe. He also referred to Brexit and the impact this may have. The Chief Constable reported that there was a correlation between Brexit and terror attacks which coincided with publicity  from the OPCC to encourage reporting which increased figures. He would be happy to send the Panel a copy of the graph showing hate crime figures.

Action: Chief Constable

 

Strategic Aim 6

Cllr Webster referred to the minute on Reading festival and concerns around security and passed her thanks to Thames Valley Police for an excellent job in keeping people safe.

11.05am

124.

Public Question Time

Anyone who works or lives in the Thames Valley can ask a question at meetings of the Police and Crime Panel, at which a 20 minute session will be designated for hearing from the public.

 

If you’d like to participate, please read the Public Question Time Scheme and submit your questions by email to contact@thamesvalleypcp.org.uk at least three working days in advance of the meeting.

 

http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/article/5242/Public-questions-at-Panel-meetings

Minutes:

There were no public questions.

11.25am

125.

Themed Item - Partnership with Criminal Justice Agencies pdf icon PDF 240 KB

A number of key questions have been put to criminal justice agencies and through this information and discussion the Panel would like to understand how the PCC is working with criminal justice agencies.

 

Debbie Johnson from the National Probation Service and Adrian Foster from Chief Crown Prosecutor (Thames and Chiltern) have kindly agreed to attend for this item.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Panel Members in previous meetings have agreed that it would be useful to have a themed item on the PCC’s partnership with criminal justice agencies. As part of this item a smart survey was sent to partners of the Local Criminal Justice Board (LCJB) and a copy of the response is attached to the report. Members also welcomed two expert witnesses:-

 

Debbie Johnson – National Probation Service

Adrian Foster – Chief Crown Prosecutor (Thames and Chiltern CPS)

 

Debbie Johnson introduced herself and reported that she was the Chair of the Reducing Reoffending Group of the LCJB and a Member of the Sub-Group which was looking at domestic abuse. They are commissioning, with funding from the OPCC, a Domestic Abuse Perpetrator Programme with the Police Integrated Offender Management Team to better manage certain low and medium risk offenders whose cases would not be going to court. The new Positive Relationships Programme would be going live in November.

 

In terms of reducing reoffending they had a Delivery Plan for the next 12 months. One of the areas that the Group had some areas of concern was the long standing issue of a lack of accommodation for offenders post sentence being released from prison. This matter had often been raised at Community Safety Partnerships and Integrated Offender Management meetings, however, the response had been limited and reflects the low level of available suitable accommodation in local authority areas. A recent national article stated that only 2% of 98 prisoners assessed had been found accommodation via the ‘Through the Gate’ Programme and 10 started their licence period with no fixed address. More widely it is said that 1 in 7 prisoners are being released without knowing where they would sleep the first night. Without the stability of accommodation it is difficult for agencies to support offenders to ensure that they can access benefits or secure Education, Training or Employment or to protect the public if the offender could not be located.

 

Debbie Johnson reported that this has been raised at the Joint Chief Executive Meeting recently and she had been heartened by the response by Councils. She commented that agencies needed to work together on this area particularly with public sector budget restraints and with the increase of rough sleeping and tented communities. At the meeting attendees agreed that a partnership event should be organised to look at possible solutions and she asked Panel Members to inform her of any key people that should attend and to raise awareness of this issue.

Action: Panel Members

 

Cllr Bendyshe-Brown commented that CSP’s recognise the situation but with huge pressures on housing services with vulnerable clients it was a difficult area to address. Debbie Johnson referred to work with Local MAPPA’s (MAPPA is a mechanism through which agencies can better discharge their combined responsibility for Public Protection. This mainly involves coordinating risk management of certain categories of High Risk Sexual and Violent Offenders) and the need to prioritise this area as prison release offenders  ...  view the full minutes text for item 125.

12.10pm

126.

Performance Monitoring of Police and Crime Plan pdf icon PDF 104 KB

For performance information the OPCC and TVP Delivery Plans have been attached.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6A Specific – Modern Slavery

 

April McCoig attended the meeting to discuss the issue of modern slavery and reported that she had just been appointed into the post of Anti-Slavery Co-ordinator within Thames Valley Police. This was an important partnership post to liaise with multi agency partners to ensure that services were consistent across the Thames Valley. Local Authorities also have a significant role in terms of detecting and combatting modern slavery.

 

Local Authorities are one of a number of agencies identified within Section 52 of the Modern Slavery Act as ‘First Responders’ along with the Police, the Salvation Army, UK Visas and Immigration etc. First Responders are specified statutory authorities who have a responsibility to identify potential victims and refer cases to the UK Human Trafficking Centre. They must submit referrals into the National Referral Mechanism or for any victims who do not wish to be referred into the NRM, First Responders must submit a Duty to Notify form to the Home Office (to build up a picture of what was happening nationally). However, if the victim does not consent to go through the NRM then responsibilities may exist through other legislation that may impact Local Authorities.

 

In England and Wales, if a victim of modern slavery is found not to be a victim of trafficking, the Competent Authority must go on to consider whether they are the victim of another form of modern slavery, which includes slavery, servitude and forced or compulsory labour. The NRM grants a minimum 45-day reflection and recovery period for victims of human trafficking or modern slavery. Trained decision makers decide whether individuals referred to them should be considered to be victims of trafficking according to the definition in the Council of Europe Convention.

 

Thames Valley Police have recorded 150 unique victims between February 2016 and 2017 and there was an even split between male and females. The main nationalities affected were British, Vietnamese and Romanian. There is a huge increase of organised crime gangs using modern slavery particularly with crimes of sexual exploitation and supplying drugs. Victims of forced labour crimes tend to be vulnerable. County Lines is a model of drug distribution where a single telephone number is given to sell drugs and other people are used to run drugs using vulnerable adults and children. Another term ‘cuckooing’ is used where gangs take over the properties of vulnerable people  and use their property to undertake criminal acts.

 

The aim of the new co-ordinator role was to set up Anti Slavery networks which now existed in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire and parts of Berkshire e.g Slough. In October the chairs of each area will meet with the Force Tactical Lead to help co-ordination across the Thames Valley. There was also a Modern Slavery Vulnerabilities Strategic Group.

 

In October 2017 there would be a campaign called ‘Hidden Harms’ which will communicate on a number of issues such as Female Genital Mutilation, Domestic Violence and Modern Slavery.

 

Reference was made to Operation Aidant which was linked  ...  view the full minutes text for item 126.

13.00pm

127.

Recommendation Monitoring pdf icon PDF 77 KB

Response to collaboration questions

Update on previous recommendations

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Information was circulated on a powerpoint in relation to unauthorised encampments and this would be circulated to Members. The Chief Constable reported that some training had been undertaken within TVP to ensure that a consistent approach was being taken across the Thames Valley in their approach to unauthorised encampments and the application of legislation. There was also a Task and Finish Group looking at rural crime and this issue in particular. A guide would be produced on the steps that need to be taken and working with landowners to help address concerns. Once the Task and Finish Group had concluded their work the findings would be circulated to the Panel. The Deputy PCC commented that he had talked to Local Area Commanders to ensure that there was a consistent approach taken but also that it was a complex area of law. Cllr Webster also asked whether the Group could look at illegal raves and the ability of residents to contact TVP late at night to ensure an appropriate response.

Action: Chief Constable/Scrutiny Officer

13.15pm

128.

Topical Issues pdf icon PDF 137 KB

To note and ask questions on the topical issues report.

Minutes:

The Deputy PCC provided an update on fire collaboration. The Deputy PCC reported that he and the PCC had met with the three fire and rescue services and a decision had been taken not to pursue the transfer of governance responsibility for them to the PCC in the foreseeable future (e.g. at least until after the next PCC elections in 2020). Instead they would continue to explore and develop more collaboration options between the three fire and rescue services, and between them and the police, to deliver operational and financial benefits to the public.

 

PCCs in other areas in the Country were moving ahead with transferring governance, such as Essex, but they had only one fire and rescue service so it was easier to effect than in the Thames Valley. The Deputy PCC commented that he would be extremely happy with one Thames Valley Fire Service but because of the difficulties of currently having three fire and rescue services, pushing forward with any governance changes currently would derail the great collaboration work being produced e.g. they were currently working with the fire service over the use of drones.

 

The Deputy PCC also referred to discussions with senior officers over closer collaboration with the ambulance service, particularly as the South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) covered the Thames Valley and Hampshire geographical area, where there was already significant police service collaboration. However, one of the potential stumbling blocks was the Isle of Wight, which was covered by the Hampshire Constabulary but not the SCAS.

 

Cllr Bendyshe Brown asked about early adopters. The Deputy PCC reported that there was 2/3 PCCs who were looking to take over governance of their fire and rescue service in October. The Government would like to see other PCCs go down this route as soon as possible. However, with the three fire and rescue services in the Thames Valley it was more productive to look at areas for encouraging operational collaboration, such as sharing personnel and assets (equipment and premises), rather than seeking to take over governance responsibility in the face of likely resistance.

 

Cllr Hayes asked whether the PCC Office had considered the Deputy having a full time role and also whether they had met with the Home Secretary/Policing Minister. The Deputy PCC reported that the Panel had voted in favour of his appointment as a part time role at his confirmation hearing. If the PCC wanted him to work full time that was for him to determine. He was currently looking at how he could engage with Health and Wellbeing Boards across the Thames Valley and to ensure appropriate engagement with partners over a three day week. The PCC had met with the Policing Minister and the Prime Minister (with her previous local connections) but not the Home Secretary.

 

The Chief Executive reported that there were no changes to the Community Safety Fund grant allocation model. The Deputy PCC commented that Local Area Commanders signed off local CSP spending initiatives to ensure that the Fund was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 128.

129.

Victims Redesign Project - update from Policy Development Manager pdf icon PDF 114 KB

Minutes:

Members noted the written update in the agenda and had no further questions.

129a

Update from PCC Public Meeting (Level 1 with Chief Constable) pdf icon PDF 137 KB

This includes the following documents:-

 

TVP Annual Delivery Plan 2017/18

OPCC Strategic Delivery Plan 2017/18

Summary of changes to the Complaints Process

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members noted the report and had no further questions.

13.30pm

130.

Work Programme pdf icon PDF 93 KB

For Panel Members to put forward items for the Work Programme including ideas for themed meetings.

Minutes:

The Work Programme was noted and the Scrutiny Officer asked Panel Members to submit items for next year to her.

Action: Panel Members

131.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

17 November 2017

Minutes:

17 November 2017