Search site

Browse Aloud

South Bucks District Council
Search site

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Olympic Room Aylesbury Vale District Council Gatehouse Road Aylesbury Bucks HP19 8FF

Contact: Clare Gray 

Items
Note No. Item

132.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

133.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 225 KB

To agree the Minutes of the Meeting held on 8 September 2017

Minutes:

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 8 September 2017 were agreed as a correct record.

 

The following updates were given:-

 

·         The Deputy PCC would respond in writing on whether the street operation in Oxford City would continue as the previous one had been very successful.

·         Unauthorised encampments – the Rural Task and Finish Group had met which included a meeting with all Councils, the Force and Environment Agency. At this meeting it was agreed that a Memorandum of Understanding should be drawn up. The Chief Constable reported that one of the issues within the Force was when powers apply or not. Another issue was the response by landowners – sometimes it looked like the police were doing nothing when they were speaking to the landowner who had responsibility for this. Communication was key to keep the public informed. There were certain trigger points to lead to the use of Section 61 powers.

·         OPCC office – A Panel Member asked a question in relation to the Office of the PCC and a written report being made available. The PCC commented that this particular issue was confidential and had been dealt with under the correct disciplinary procedures. Another Panel Member commented that the Panel did not want the detail of the issue but wanted reassurance that the Office was operating efficiently and effectively and that the processes that were in place were robust to ensure that a similar incident would not happen or if it did that the PCC would guarantee the smooth running of his Office, whilst investigations took place. The PCC agreed to send a report with this information.

Action: PCC

·         TVP were reminded to send over the graph showing the hate crime figures.

Action: Chief Constable

·         Cllr Hayes asked the PCC whether he had met yet with the Policing Minister. The PCC reported that he had a meeting on 29 November 2017 to meet the Policing Minister. The PCC then responded to the previous question about having a part time Deputy PCC. He commented that you could be criticised for having a Deputy or not having a Deputy. He had taken the decision that at this current time he needed a part time Deputy but if the situation changed such as taking on the responsibility for Fire and Rescue Services then he would consider a full time Deputy. He also commented that the Taxpayers Alliance had said that his office was one of the most efficient and lean offices.

 

11.05am

134.

Public Question Time

Anyone who works or lives in the Thames Valley can ask a question at meetings of the Police and Crime Panel, at which a 20 minute session will be designated for hearing from the public.

 

If you’d like to participate, please read the Public Question Time Scheme and submit your questions by email to contact@thamesvalleypcp.org.uk at least three working days in advance of the meeting.

 

http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/article/5242/Public-questions-at-Panel-meetings

Minutes:

There were no public questions.

11.25am

135.

Chairman's briefing/PCC update

Minutes:

The Chairman gave an update on the following:-

 

·         As Blue Light Day it was important to honour all police officers that have fallen in the line of duty. These brave men and women have sacrificed everything so it is important to show our support.

·         East of England Regional Network for Police and Crime Panels – Frontline Consulting held a meeting on 29 September 2017 which discussed current work including an update on fire and rescue collaboration and regional collaboration in the East Midlands.

·         There was also a meeting of 4 area collaboration with Panel Chairmen from Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and the Thames Valley. The Chairmen have agreed to meet quarterly to discuss joint collaboration issues and the best way of scrutinising this area.

·         National Conference of Police and Crime Panels run by Frontline Consulting was held on 6 November 2017. This included speakers Cllr Alison Lowe, Chair of West Yorkshire PCP, David Lloyd Chair of the Association of PCCs and Jacqui McKinlay Chief Executive from the Centre for Public Scrutiny.

 

The PCC also gave an update saying that it was five years since the first PCC election in November 2012 and that there had been a huge change in policing with the role of the PCC changing fundamentally. The budget had been cut by 38% which equated to £100 million and crime was becoming more complex with cyber enabled crime and the needs of the vulnerable which led to crimes such as child sexual exploitation, modern slavery, domestic abuse and mental health issues. Traditionally crime was violence and burglary related. He also expressed concern about crime being imported particularly from Eastern Europe and South America with tourists now coming over to commit a crime then leave. PCCs have also taken on extra responsibilities such as the Chairmanship of Local Criminal Justice Boards, commissioning and delivery of victim support services and governance of Fire and Rescue Services. The PCC also was on some national Boards such as National Fraud, Counter- Terrorism and Specialist Capabilities. He commented that he would not stand again for election.

11.35am

136.

Local Policing pdf icon PDF 135 KB

For a Local Area Commander to provide a briefing on:-

·         how the local policing model has been implemented in their area and the positive impact this model has had in reducing crime.

·         what is the impact of working in partnership with other organisations to address demand and dealing with local policing issues such as anti-social behaviour

 

For the PCC to provide an update on how he was holding the Chief Constable to account on:-

·         the local policing model and how success was being measured

·         the combination of budgetary pressures, increased demand, the reduction in officer posts and recruitment and retention, the impact of the new operating model and changing work practices - all of which may impact on stress levels within the Force

Minutes:

This item related to the new operating model which had gone live in June 2017. The Chief Constable reported that this new model had gone live during a time when they had lost a number of police officers (about 100), there were four murders in the first few weeks following implementation of the model and there was increasing demand, including the terrorist incidents in June this year. He commented that the old model would also not have worked well during this high demand period.

 

With regard to the loss of police officers other Forces were also recruiting and officers were leaving Thames Valley to join other Forces where it was cheaper to live. They were looking at alternative ways to boost numbers such as encouraging retired officers to undertake case investigations which helped the resilience of the Force. They had recently received an ‘Outstanding’ HMIC inspection grade with regard to efficiency in the Force but there had been problems initially with regard to new shift patterns under the new operating model. Some police officers were finding the new patterns tiring; they were being asked to work less each day but as a consequence they had less days off.  They had undertaken wide ranging consultation with officers and there was continuing debate over improvements to the model.

 

The high demand over the summer impacted on 999/101 calls but the number of calls has now dropped slightly. They were monitoring response times under immediate/non immediate responses but the majority of calls were being dealt with in a timely way. In terms of teams responding to calls the roll out of laptops had helped the Force. There was a dashboard of performance measures. Caseloads per officer had increased because of sickness issues. The latest HMIC report on efficiency had complimented the new operating model and the Chief Constable reported that whilst it had been a difficult change process and they were now six months into implementation, he felt that the model was an improvement and a better way of working.

 

The Local Area Commander for Wycombe Superintendent Kevin Brown gave an update on how the model was operating in his area. He had been moved into his post at the end of June so had no preconceived ideas of how it would operate and had not been involved in any of the planning processes. The model was not quite fit for purpose at the start of the process and in the last 3-4 months he had been looking at ways to optimise resources to meet the outcomes of the model. It was a big change management programme which included a change of culture, mindset and working patterns and there had been scepticism from officers. As the resourcing had not been ideal at the start this did have an impact on investigations and the Force had become reactive rather than proactive. Police officers had been concerned about their roles and responsibilities and struggled to manage their daily workloads.

 

However, a ‘one team’ ethos had  ...  view the full minutes text for item 136.

12.20pm

137.

Performance Monitoring of the Police and Crime Plan pdf icon PDF 373 KB

General

Panel Members are asked to consider general performance information which includes:-

·         national benchmarking information

·         HMICFRS Police Efficiency Report 2017

·         the OPCC and TVP Delivery Plans which were discussed at the PCC public meeting on 16 November 2017.

 

Specific

·         999 calls/ 101 service and what actions have been taken to improve response times (and the implementation of the new Contact Management Programme)

·         To consider the OPCC report on Strategic Aim 1 of the Police and Crime Plan on Vulnerability

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members were asked to consider general and specific performance information which included:-

 

·                National benchmarking information

·                HMICFRS Police Efficiency Report 2017

·                OPCC and TVP Delivery Plans

·                Police and Crime Plan – Strategic Aim 1

 

Police Efficiency Report

The Chief Constable reported that they were judged on the following criteria:-

 

·         How well does the Force understand demand – TVP has an outstanding understanding of the demand for its services that is based on detailed analysis of a wide range of data, including from partner agencies such as the ambulance and fire and rescue services

·         How well does the Force use its resources – it has an outstanding understanding of workforce skills and abilities through the College of Policing’s competency and values framework. They make best use of finite resources and manage change programmes well.

·         How well is the Force planning for the future – TVP is good with some elements being outstanding. The Force has displayed innovation, embracing and investing in technology. The Chief Constable referred to the £100million investment in the next 4 years to make sure they were fit for the future.

 

Strategic Priority 1 – Police and Crime Plan

 

The PCC introduced his report and that his objective was to manage demand on services through better working with partners, with particular emphasis on three priority areas; mental health, adults at risk and service quality. He commented on the work being undertaken with Community Safety Partnerships particularly with vulnerable people as he was one of only a few PCCs who distributed some of his funding to CSPs as he thought that this would ensure that each geographical area could prioritise this funding according to local needs. However, the OPCC monitor this funding very carefully to ensure value for money and good outcomes are achieved.

 

His Victims Services programme was being managed well by the OPCC Policy Manager including the complex needs service which provided specialist counselling services. The OPCC worked with a wide range of partners including prisons to ensure good rehabilitation for ex offenders.

 

The PCC referred to hidden forms of abuse and commented that this was a difficult area to tackle as it was embedded in some communities. It was particularly difficult to get victims to report these crimes as they would often be ostracised by their family and friends. They have still yet to prosecute any cases of female genital mutilation. Either the number of cases had been over estimated or there was a lack of reporting.

 

The PCC reported that he was the current Chairman of the Local Criminal Justice Board and this was being utilised to engage with key delivery groups and encourage a more joined up criminal justice system. Work was also being undertaken on domestic abuse and the OPCC had procured a Domestic Violence Perpetrator Programme for a one year pilot. They were also managing an interim Domestic Violence funding arrangement and working with Local Authorities, Clinical Commissioning Groups and other organisations to seek future closer collaboration between all commissioners, including pooled  ...  view the full minutes text for item 137.

12.50pm

138.

Recommendation Monitoring pdf icon PDF 110 KB

Response to previous recommendations for Member comment

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The recommendation monitoring report was noted. (There had already been some discussion on this item under the minutes item). The Scrutiny Officer would write to the OPCC with regard to the Local Criminal Justice item.

13.00pm

139.

Report of the Preventing Child Sexual Exploitation Sub-Committee pdf icon PDF 143 KB

The Chairman will present the minutes of the Sub-Committee and ask the Panel to agree any recommendations in the report.

Minutes:

Cllr Mallon commented that the minutes were attached to the agenda. Members noted the recommendations and that the Deputy PCC would be visiting the Staffordshire PCC to look at their CSE Outcomes Framework.

13.10pm

140.

Topical Issues pdf icon PDF 156 KB

To note and ask questions on the topical issues report. Reports attached on topical issues and the new complaints regime A short verbal report will be given on the PCC budget for next year leading into the budget scrutiny process for the Task and Finish Group on 20 November 2017.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members noted the topical issues item.

 

Roads Policing

In relation the attached report on roads policing Cllr Page requested a further discussion with the Force to scope devolving functions or working in partnership on roads policing enforcement. The PCC commented that if there was scope for taking a pilot forwards he would be happy to look at Reading with the potential to extend this elsewhere in the Thames Valley if appropriate. Cllr Page commented that he would be interested to see if other Authorities would be interested in working in partnership.

 

The Chief Constable reported that initially local authorities had pulled out of the Safer Roads Partnership because of limited funding. The Force had been happy to host the Roads Summit in September this year to look at ways to improve partnership working in the absence of the Safer Roads Partnership.

 

The PCC commented that Hampshire and Thames Valley Police Forces had one of the highest rates of prosecutions because of their enforcement work. He would discuss this issue with the Chief Constable to identify if there was any scope in taking this forward.

 

Brexit

Reference was made to legislative changes with regard to Brexit including losing the European arrest warrant so that perpetrators would face the justice system back in the UK. The PCC was asked a question on whether this would have an adverse impact on community safety. There was also a concern about intelligence sharing with Europol. The PCC reported that the UK had a very sophisticated intelligence system with GCHQ so it was unlikely that other countries would want to stop intelligence sharing. He also commented that one of the most important areas of community safety was to control the UK borders better to ensure that crime is not imported into this Country and Brexit should support this.

13.15pm

141.

Work Programme pdf icon PDF 91 KB

For Panel Members to put forward items for the Work Programme including ideas for themed meetings.

Minutes:

The Work Programme was noted. A Panel Member suggested looking at Honour Based Abuse and Forced Marriage in more detail but this may be delegated to the Preventing CSE Sub Committee. There was also a suggestion to look at violent crimes and domestic abuse.

 

A further item should be included on reviewing the implementation of the new Contact Management Programme.

142.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

2 February 2018 at 11am

Minutes:

2 February 2018